Junior Counselor Position
The Junior Counselor (JC) plays an important part in creating a successful day camp experience for Living History Farms’ campers. The JC helps staff camp counselors as they work with groups of campers in a way that fosters a positive, inclusive, and rewarding experience for all. The JC acts as a role model for the campers, encouraging them to explore history and nature in fun, responsible ways.
As they volunteer, JCs also develop personal leadership, communication, collaboration, and other job-related skills.
We will begin accepting applications for new Junior Counselors in March 2021. The deadline to apply is April 15, 2021.
- Assist staff camp counselors in activities related to the camp curriculum (lead games, assist with crafts and activities, help keep campers on task, etc.).
- With the staff counselor, reinforce a positive, respectful, inclusive learning environment, reminding campers of “camp appropriate” behavior.
- Be a role-model for your campers, and support your counselor in their expectations for campers.
- Leading games at camper check in and check out.
- Assist campers as needed when they are working on crafts and activities.
- Help counselors gather materials and prepare for crafts and activities, and then clean up after.
- Serve as support for transition times, such as when traveling between camp locations, and visiting different areas of the museum.
- Walk campers to restrooms, hand-washing stations, and water bottle refilling locations.
- Be a listening ear for the campers, and keep the staff counselor informed.
- Through your actions, behaviors, and speech while volunteering at Living History Farms, abide by, uphold and support the museum’s Mission & Vision Statement, Museum Code of Conduct, Day Camp Program Goals, and Volunteer Program Statement.
- Respect the uniqueness and diversity of all. Be a good role model for campers.
- Observe and adhere to all museum and camp policies, including safety and security and dress codes.
- Complete orientation and training successfully.
- Be proactive in offering your help.
- Be dependable, including providing timely notification of absence or tardiness to the Education Director or Volunteer Program Manager.
Experience and qualifications
- The minimum age is 14 by the week(s) you choose to volunteer.
- You must enjoy working with children of all ages, and be comfortable around adults.
- You must be flexible, and able to adapt to changes.
- You should be energetic and have a desire to share in camper’s excitement.
- You must be on-time and dependable.
- You must be willing to be outside, in typical Iowa summer weather. Most activities are outside.
- You should be able to walk distances as you engage in activities throughout the property. You should be able to move or lift items as needed for camp.
- A teen that turns 18 years old before or during his/her volunteer experience will be subject to a criminal background check.
- Summer Day Camp generally runs 9:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday, from June 7 through August 13, 2021.
- You will be scheduled to work Monday-Friday, 8:40-4:10 pm.
- There will be a required virtual orientation and in-person training sessions.
- Junior Counselors will be notified of their volunteer weeks after the interview/selection process.
- Cancelling: While rare, it is possible that a camp is cancelled due to low registration. When this occurs, if possible, the JC’s may be moved to another camp that same week, or their shift may also be cancelled.
- Junior Counselors will not be intentionally placed with friends.
- New Junior Counselors may only volunteer for a maximum of 3 weeks. Experienced Junior Counselors may volunteer more than 3 weeks.
Fill out a Junior Counselor Application
Reports to: Education Director
Please contact us with questions at email@example.com.
Living History Farms’ Day Camp program is accredited by the American Camp Association (ACA), the only nationwide organization to accredit all kinds of organized camps.