Historic Game Night
Explore historic sites around the town of Walnut Hill, challenge your friends to some classic 19th century lawn games, and meet a farm animal or two – all with a drink in your hand. Enjoy samples from Keg Creek Brewing and The Cellar at White Oak, a cash bar provided by Your Private Bartender, and local food truck, Caribbean Kitchen. You can also try your hand at axe throwing with Ironside Axe Club, take a ride in a John Deere Gator, and pose for a photo op in our Model T, while you enjoy bluegrass music from Matt TeRonde. Dogs are welcome too! The first 100 visitors will get a free Iowa Craft Beer Festival commemorative tasting glass, provided by the Iowa Brewers Guild.
Event Partners: Carribean Kitchen, Ironside Axe Club, Keg Creek Brewing Co., The Cellar at White Oak, Your Private Bartender
Get your tickets in advance online. Advanced tickets will go on sale on May 14, 2019. Advanced tickets will be available online through July 10, 2019 at noon. Tickets will also be available at the door. While Living History Farms offers many family friendly events, this event is for adults ages 21+ only. Photo ID required for admittance to the event. Event will take place rain or shine.
LHF Members get in free!
Available May 14 (10am) – July 10 (noon).
Also available at the door on July 11.
Available for groups of 12 or more
Call (515)278-5286 ext 158 or email email@example.com
Available online May 14 (10am) – June 12 (noon).
We are seeking musical acts to perform throughout our History Happy Hour series. Our stage will be small so our ideal musical acts would be acoustic in nature. Living History Farms can provide 2 speakers, but musicians will need to provide, set up, and tear down all other equipment. Performances would be considered an in-kind donation to Living History Farms, with no payment or stipend provided. Please fill out the Musical Act Application Form below to let us know about your music and your interest in participating.
Musical Act Application
- Will there be samples available?
Wine and beer samples will be available from our event partners beginning at 5:30pm and they will be first come, first serve. Breweries and wineries are subject to change or cancellation.
- Will there be drinks available for purchase?
Yes, Your Private Bartender will provide a cash bar serving beer and wine options. Soda and bottled water will also be available for purchase. Cash and credit cards will be accepted.
- Will there be food available for purchase?
Yes, we plan to have 1-2 food trucks onsite that will offer food for purchase. Snacks are available in our MarketPlace Museum Store in the Visitor Center, and the Machine Shed Restaurant is right next door to the museum for before you arrive or after you leave (no re-entry is allowed so plan accordingly). Food Trucks are subject to change or cancellation.
- Can I visit the farms? Why are only certain buildings open?
For the safety of visitors, staff, and our historic buildings & artifacts, only certain buildings in our 1875 Town of Walnut Hill will be open for touring. During this event, the farm sites will be closed for touring and our tractor carts will not be running.
- Can I bring in my child to History Happy Hour?
While Living History Farms offers many family friendly events, this event is for adults ages 21+ only. Each visitor must present valid photo ID at the entrance.
- Is History Happy Hour a cash-only event?
No, the bar will accept cash and credit cards. Admission tickets can also be purchased with cash or a credit/debit card. Living History Farms does not have an ATM on the property.
- Can I bring my own chairs?
Yes, you are encouraged to bring your own chairs or blankets. if you wish, although picnic tables will be provided for seating for eating and live music. Live music subject to change or cancellation.
Other info to know:
- Disorderly conduct will result in your removal from the event. This includes trespassing into restricted areas, dumping of liquids in a non-designated area, or any violations of our Visitor Code of Conduct.
- Respect all fences and boundaries. They are there for your safety.
- No outside beverages of any kind are allowed on the museum property during this event.
- Bags subject to search upon staff request.
- No re-entry. If you leave the event for any reason, you will be unable to return.
- Last entry at 8:30 pm. Bar closes at 8:45 pm. Event concludes at 9:00 pm.
- Living History Farms is a smoke-free environment. No smoking, including e-cigarettes, is allowed on our grounds.
- No refunds. Not for resale.