Advanced registrations required.
Learn the basics of hearth cooking, while exploring how new settlers in Iowa produced, prepared, and preserved food. Participants will use 1850s era recipes to make their lunch. While your meal is cooking, tour the 1850 Pioneer Farm. After eating and cleaning up, everyone will go home with copies of recipes, and information on how to care for their cast iron cooking utensils. All costs of materials are included in the cost of the class. Dress for being on a farm, and for cooking! Part of the class will be outside while you tour the farm. Bring an apron and a water bottle. Note: You will be eating your meal around 12:30pm, so please plan accordingly.
- Saturday, October 28 from 9:00am-1:00pm
- 1850 Pioneer Farm (Check in at Conference Center)
- Number of Participants: Minimum 3, Maximum 5; Ages 18 and up
- Fee: $90.00
Register for Basics of Pioneer Hearth Cooking
- Member registration opens August 15 at 9am. Registration opens for the general public on August 22 at 9am. Registration closes at noon 1 week before the class date. If the minimum number of participants have not registered, the class will be cancelled.
- Members receive an exclusive early registration period, and a 15% discount on class fees. Purchase or renew your membership now!
- Contact us if you have questions about registration, content, or logistics of the classes at email@example.com, or by telephone at 515-278-5286 ext. 110.
- Please read the following program policies before registering for a class. Adult & Family Education Program Policies
See all of our Fall Adult & Family Education Programs