Living History Farms is constantly working to improve accessibility, while maintaining historical accuracy. We have improved building thresholds, realigned boardwalks, and eliminated unnecessary stoops and steps. We have also constructed or modified ramps to provide greater accessibility to visitors.
We strongly recommend that anyone with concerns about accessibility have one or more adults to assist him or her while touring.
The period farms are located in a wooded area with a connecting trail (about 3/4 of a mile in length). Terrain ranges from flat land to gradual slopes to steep hills. There are benches available for "rest stops" along the trail. Milled asphalt (resembling hard-packed dirt) covers 75% of the trail; wood chips the remainder. The 1700 loway Farm and 1850 Pioneer Farm both have wood-chipped paths through the site. The 1900 Farm barnyard is bare ground.
For information on different visiting options for those with mobility concerns, please click here.
Most of the town sites are wheelchair accessible with ramps, wide doorways and low thresholds. Access to the first floor of the Flynn House is available through the east side kitchen door. A book of photos and descriptions of the second floor rooms is available from the interpreters. The Doctor's Office has a six-inch stoop at the front door, but the side door is wheelchair accessible.
Six-foot wide wooden planks connect most of the Walnut Hill town sites. Be cautious when traveling, as boardwalks can be an uneven surface and slippery when wet or frost-covered.
Open-air carts have an aluminum ramp for wheelchair boarding.
Accessible, modern restrooms are located at the Visitor Center, in Walnut Hill on the north end of the Snack Shop building, inside the Flynn Cafe, and the Wallace Exhibit Center. A portable handicapped station is located at the 1700 loway Farm drop-off/pick-up point.
Wheelchairs are available to use free of charge. See the admissions desk for details. At this time, we do not have motorized wheelchairs/scooters available.
Due to the rugged terrain connecting our Farm sites on the West side of our museum, we suggest the following experiences for those with accessibility concerns:
Take the tractor cart to the 1700 loway Farm, visit, and follow the short ADA-compliant trail to the 1850 Pioneer Farm. Then return to the tractor cart at the 1700 Ioway Farm, to be taken to the 1900 Farm and Wallace Exhibit Center.
The 1900 Farm Visit is 2 to 3 hours and eliminates the walk from the 1700 Ioway Farm to the 1850 Pioneer Farm. Simply tell the tractor cart driver and they will drop you off at the 1900 Farm and pick you up at the Wallace Exhibit Center.
The Town Only Visit takes 2 hours or less and includes the entire 1875 Town of Walnut Hill.